What to Do in Case of Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of personal injury cases in Australia. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) state that more than a million Australians get involved in slip, trip, and fall accidents annually. Furthermore, CDC reports that slip and fall accidents result in thousands of deaths in the country every year. These accidents are one of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries (SCIs) in Australia. According to various medical studies, fall accidents are associated with different forms of physical injuries and arguably, the most notable of them all is SCI. The likelihood of SCI in the country due to fall mishaps is fairly great as studies show that at least one million Americans get involved in such accident each year.
A person may suffer from SCI when a sudden traumatic blow hits his or her spine that result in vertebrae fracture or dislocation. SCI breaks a person’s blood vessels that can lead into massive bleeding. Slip, trip, and fall accident victims may have sustained SCI if they are feeling any of these symptoms:
· Numbness of the arm or leg
· Loss of energy or feeling weak
· Difficulty walking
· Loss of movement of the arms or legs
· Loss of bladder or bowel control
· Stiff neck, headache, or neck pain
In an unfortunate scenario that you get involved in slip and fall accident in Peakhurst and you fear that you have sustained SCI, these are the steps you need to do:
1. Call out for help – It is imperative for severe fall accident victims not to move, which is why it would be best to ask someone to call an ambulance or emergency medical personnel. Don’t make the mistake of ignoring the pain as most serious injuries only manifest a day or two from the accident.
2. Go to the hospital – SCI cannot be determined immediately; hence, fall victims should have their injury checked by a physician. Let the physician know what happened so he or she will be able to come up with accurate diagnosis.
3. Follow scheduled treatment – If you have sustained SCI, the best thing to do is to religiously follow physician’s prescription and scheduled therapy sessions. You would also want to consider consulting with a chiropractor Peakhurst to speed up your recovery.
4. Consider a legal action – If the fall accident has occurred in another person’s property and his or her negligence has caused the mishap from happening; you have the right to file a lawsuit against the property owner or the person liable to the property. It is in your best intention to consult with a lawyer to know your legal options if there are any.
Slip, trip, and fall accidents are quite common throughout the country. The people most susceptible to this kind of accident are the seniors. Due to the prevalence of slip and fall accidents involving senior people, it is imperative for elderly Australians to learn the legal components involved in premises liability law. Legally speaking, when a person slips and falls in the premises of another individual, the former may have personal injury claim provided that the latter has failed to ensure the safety of his or her property.
In case you or your loved one was involved in such incident, don’t make the mistake of failing to consult with medical professionals like chiropractor Peakhurst. Your medical practitioner will be the one ensure that you will recover from serious injuries like SCI as soon as possible. Don’t take chances, act on it immediately because you could really never tell whether or not you have incurred serious injuries.